Me vs. Myself

Wednesday, December 22, 2004

Grab a Snickers....

Being one that tries to be humble, I feel it necessary to toot my own horn today. Last night, I had a men's league ice hockey game. Last league my team went 0-10 and I demanded to be put on a better team. So this time around my team is in second place and doing well. The last place team was our opponent, so we felt certain we could win fairly easy. I go out for warm-ups and not 10 seconds after stepping on the ice, my teammate accidentally hits me in my forearm with a slapshot (right between my elbow pad and glove, yes it hurt and it still does). Then we have enough for three sets of wingers and two rotating centers and just to keep the theme of the night going, I get paired with the worse guy on the team. (side note: this kid has the potential to be a lot better but he puts very little effort in and basically hurts the team when on the ice) So third period comes around and we are down 6-3 (it was actually 5-3 at the start but they scored after the third started). We move the lines around a bit and I get away from Slowman. First shift without him I go down and crank a shot top shelf to make it 6-4. We switch lines and the clock quickly winds down. At about 2:15 or 2:30 left in the game, one of our guys gets a penalty, so we're down 6-4 and down a man. Finally at about 1:50, I get back on the ice. Normally when short-handed the idea is to just get the puck out of your defensive zone, ideally all the way down so they have to regroup. Well, I decided it was time to show my skills of an artist and skate the puck all the way down. I get a shot on net and my wingman scores on the rebound, 6-5. With about 30 seconds left our guy gets out of the box and we pull our goalie. I get the puck and set up the game tying goal, 6-6. There are 20 seconds left now and the ref says, if we go to OT we start right away, no break. So we win the face-off into their zone and three of us crash the zone. Their guy gets it but hits our guy trying to get it out of their end. The puck bounces back towards that guy but our third guy is all over him. The puck squeezes out and I'm wide open and about five feet away, I grab it, turn, pull the goalie one way and shoot the other and score! 7-6 with 10 seconds left. We manage to play keep away for the final 10 ticks to win the game. I know it's just adult league and just regular season, but when the other team is up and trash talking and to comeback like that AND to be one of the main reasons why, it just makes you feel good. I had two other things I wanted to discuss but those can wait until tomorrow. I don't want to make this so long that you get bored and leave. I'm out, yo.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home