Me vs. Myself

Friday, April 14, 2006

Finally the Monkey Left!!!

Long time not post. Sorry. Today's installment is to say that not all poker books are crap. I mainly play (about 98%) No Limit Hold 'Em. My skills as a NLHE player have really come along, but after suffering some really crappy hands (I know everyone gets a bad beat, this is not a complaint) I decided to take time off to reflect. You see, in order to learn you must evaluate things and try to understand the why. Why did I play that hand this way? Why did he bet half the pot and not more? So on and so on. During this reflection time I realized I am a one show pony, I only have one poker skill, No Limit Hold 'Em. So I decided to give Omaha a chance. Having bought other poker books to learn NLHE, I thought a book on Omaha would be useful. I purchased Ken Warren's "Winner's Guide to Omaha Poker: The Smart Player's Guide to Winning at Omaha" at a book store for $18 with my book store membership card. Notice I gave the author and book name but not the store name. That is because I am not getting paid by the book store to advertise for them, however, since I recommend this book I will give you the name. Here is the reason I endorse this book, the first tournament I entered on PP I won. Not placed or did well but WON. For those keeping score that is victory number UNO. Sure I've won single tables on PP and Bodog or the quarterfinal qualifiers on Bodog where 1 in 6 "win". But this was a regular old event with 265 entrants. I recently read some reviews that this book is ok or good as an intro. Maybe so. But I followed the "advice" almost to a T. And his reasoning and/or logic all showed to be legit. Sure it may have been beginner luck or any number of other things but I really do think I would not have won without reading this book. It all came down to hand selection and it paid to be patient (something I need to take over to my hold 'em game). Anyway, thanks for stopping by and good luck on the tables.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home